Saturday 9 March 2013

Devendra Banhart: 'I was singing as a woman when I was a child'

Devendra Banhart is having a cry. Not a huge one. One small tear and it's over. "I told you this would happen," he says, blinking. "Didn't I tell you?"
It's true, he did. An hour earlier, shortly after Banhart finished an interview with the radio presenter Lauren Laverne on BBC6 Music, during which his mind appeared to be elsewhere, he told me: "I find talking out loud, even to my friends, really difficult. And my friends would tell you that I will cry eventually. Not because I'm self-conscious. I know I'm an idiot and there's a liberating aspect to that. I just get teary at the most inopportune moments. It's like, because it's not really the time or place to be doing that, it just sort of happens."
Like farting?
"Exactly."